Fatigue is a common symptom for those with XLH. To various degrees, we lack stamina. XLH affects the mineralization of bones and proper muscle function throughout the body, resulting in both body and mental fatigue on a daily basis. Everyone has a different level of severity, but will inevitably struggle with fatigue on some level each day of their lives.
We have compiled our top 5 tips for reducing the impact of ongoing fatigue on daily living.
Tips for beating fatigue associated with X-Linked Hypophosphatemia
1. Get moving: a brisk walk or even 10 minutes of stretching improves blood flow and boosts energy. Try to find a low impact form of exercise that motivates you to move your body in a way that you enjoy, and that fits your physical abilities. Ask your doctor or specialists if they can recommend any activities suited to your individual needs as a person living with XLH.
2. Healthy eating: increase fruit, vegetable and iron rich foods and reduce high sugar and processed foods. Try finding some new recipe ideas that incorporate these types of foods that will keep healthy eating fun and interesting, and encourage you to stick with it!
3. Eat regularly: avoid skipping meals and avoid overeating to help keep your blood sugar from dipping and spiking. Try having some small healthy snacks available to you throughout the day, to encourage you to keep things in balance.
4. Be careful with caffeine: excess caffeine can actually contribute to tiredness, try cutting it out for a few weeks to see how your energy levels adjust. Sometimes the routine of having a hot coffee in the morning is hard to break. Try a cup of hot water with lemon instead!
5. Try to get enough sleep: focus on a regular sleep schedule, limiting caffeine and blue-light screen time later in the day. Try downloading a sleep app with white noise or nighttime meditations to allow your mind time to rest before drifting to sleep.
What tips do you have to reduce fatigue in your daily life? Comment some of your favourite healthy recipes, exercises, and caffeine substitutes below!